Abortion: Should a mother be able to be able to play God?

Which should one consider in the higher respect, religious law or state law? Does the state have the right to make a law that goes against a religion’s beliefs? In Antigone by Sophicles, Antigone went against state law in order to obey her religion. The choice is then revered by the populace of Thebes and she results in being the heroine of the story. In modern times, the idealism has changed. Religion is not respected as much as it was during ancient times. For example, a decision that goes against state would be shocking and looked down upon due to the emphasis on separation of church and state in modern society. One prominent topic is the case of whether or not a mother should be able to decide to abort her child. 

Abortion is a topic which is highly debated in politics today. The core religions are unanimous on the decision that abortion is wrong and the mother should love her child rather than destroying it. However, in popular culture, most teen pregnancies are aborted because of the strain that it would put on the mother. Therefore, with the legality of abortion already in place and often pro-abortion, abortions are just going with one’s rights. The law of abortion is against a religion’s views, therefore should not have been established to promote sacrilege. This modern day case of which is more respected, religious laws or  state laws, ends with the state taking priority.

2 thoughts on “Abortion: Should a mother be able to be able to play God?

1. After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks!